Mosaic Collaborative Project: A Team Approach to Creating a Diptych
NEMS members teamed up with other mosaic artist to create two original mosaics. Each person started work on a piece and completed one half of the mosaic. Then they swapped mosaics with the other person on their team. Your teammate then finished the mosaic you started. The challenge for the second person is to decide whether to continue and compliment the style of the first mosaicist, or contrast. This is an interesting way to work as it disrupts your usual flow and you have to respond to what is there. You get to keep the mosaic you started. Many thanks to BAMM (British Association for Modern Mosaic) and to Marian Shapiro for coming up with this idea!
Size of Substrate: We recommend smaller substrates i.e. 8×8 or 8×10 or 10X10. However, each person on the team can determine the substrate size he/she uses.
- Creative Concept/Inspiration: Teammates may talk about the creative design, theme and style to determine if they should be similar or different.
- Substrate & Materials: Artists can use whatever substrate and materials they wish. Substrate materials could include: Wedi, Hydroban, MDF and more.
- Method – The Artist can choose which ever method he/she wants to use. For example, you can use the direct method with thinset, or an indirect method with Weldbond. You can use multiple methods in each mosaic.
- Only 2D mosaics will be accepted.
- Items can be for sale or NFS.
Below are the entries from the project and the names of the participants
Angel Cacciola & Jane Snedeker
Jane Snedeker & Angel Cacciola
Roberta Tobey Gertz & Linda Biggers
Linda Biggers & Roberta Tobey Gertz
Richard Youngstrom & Audrey Markoff
Audrey Markoff & Richard Youngstrom
Beth Klingher & Laurie Frazer
Beth Klingher & Jane Chaskey
Laurie Frazer, Beth Klingher & Jane Chaskey
Linda Cundiff & Betsy Rodman
Betsy Rodman & Linda Cundiff
Nikki Sullivan & Deb Aldo
Deb Aldo & Nikki Sullivan
Ann Collins & Susan Altman
Elizabeth Martinez & Cynthia Fisher
Cynthia Fisher & Elizabeth Martinez
Amy Lou Marks & Suzanne Owayda
Suzanne Owayda & Amy Lou Marks
Su Bailey & Lauren Mehrberg
Lauren Mehrberg & Su Bailey
Candace Jackman & Suska Matsik
Suska Matsik & Candace Jackman
Crystal D’Abbraccio & Cecilia Kremer
Cecilia Kremer & Crystal D’Abbraccio
Maggie Neilly, Jeanne Bragdon & Carrie Fradkin
Jeanne Bragdon, Maggie Neilly & Carrie Fradkin
Carrie Fradkin, Maggie Neilly & Jeanne Bragdon
Cathleen Newsham & Michael Ferreira